Deputyship Orders

If a person has lost mental capacity and can no longer manage their own financial affairs then it is  necessary for someone else to do this for them.  If they do not have a valid Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney (please see article on Lasting Powers of Attorney for more details) then an application will need to be made to the Court of Protection for a Deputy to be appointed.

The Deputy can then take over the management of the financial affairs of the person who has lost capacity.  They are supervised in these duties by the Office of the Public Guardian and have to act according the codes of practice governing the actions of Deputies.

Shepherd Harris & Co can assist you in making the application to the Court of Protection if a family member or loved one has lost mental capacity and did not appoint an attorney prior to losing mental capacity.  We can help you to deal with the relevant forms, and can communicate with the medical practitioner dealing with the incapacitated person to obtain the medical evidence required by the Court.

An application to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order can be a long, protracted and stressful process but Shepherd, Harris & Co can help you with the process and make it less stressful for you.

Next Steps...

For further wills and probate, contentious probate and enduring power of attorney in the UK advice or to speak to one of our expert team of wills and probate solicitors please contact Helen Phillips or Elizabeth Smith by telephone on 020 8363 8341.

Image 01 Image 02 Image 03 Image 04 Image 05